This document provides the framework that enables organizations to develop studies / papers on the environmental performance of wall coating products, through the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and also to report such performance through Type III Environmental Product Declarations (EPD).
The product category “wall covering” includes all products with a wall covering function. With the wall covering obtained by hard and decorative surfaces, which not only provide accessibility to the space to be cleared conferring water resistance, etc .. The choice of coverings applied to the walls varies depending on the type of construction or occupancy scheduled for the installation location and must satisfy technical requirements. This PCR document does not include certain types of wall coverings, in particular paints and wall paper.
Some examples enumerated walls coverings covered by this document PCR:
- Ceramic covering: Section C, 2331 class;
- Coating in stone: Section C, 2370 class;
- Concrete surface: Section C 2361 class;
- Wood paneling: Section C, 1622 class, 1629 class;
- Covering, cork: Section C, 1629 class;
- Plastic coating for construction – Section C 2223 class;
- Covering on textile – carpets, curtains: Section C, 4753 class.
An EPD performed according to this document shall communicate reliable and verifiable PCR information about the environmental performance of floor coatings. After the development of an EPD, the organization shall forward the process to a certification body recognized by the DAPHabitat System for validation of the reported information.